Thursday, April 16, 2009

MobileMe working on Netcomm Router

How to set up MobileMe Screen Sharing with a Netcomm NB9W router (and probably other Netcomm models too):

Log onto the router, probably at the default 192.168.1.1 with default username and password of admin and admin (you know what to use if you changed it...)

Go to the Advanced tab on the left side of the screen, select NAT from the options that appear and then Port Triggering. Enter port 4500 as Start and End and TCP as the protocol like so:


Application Start End Trigger Start End Protocol Port Range Port Range Protocol Port Range Port Range
MobileMe TCP 4500 4500 TCP 4500 4500


Save the changes and check your Mac. I had to stop and start Screen Sharing under the MobileMe control panel in System preferences to get a green light. If it still doesn't work save and reboot the Netcomm. It's sometimes unreliable in applying changes and needs a bounce to work.

I'm currently using 3 different Mac's behind the Netcomm and all are happily connecting to MobileMe and are accessible. Sadly my story does not end well - I'm using a 3G connection when on the road and the plan I chose gives me a NAT address behind a firewall that does not forward port 4500. Have tried a few things but short of running a VPN back to my house there is no way to get past it. And the whole reason I wanted to use MobileMe is so I would not have to bother with VPN's!

No comments:

Post a Comment